February 28, 2013   84 notes
Rock of Dunamase
The Rock of Dunamase is one of the most historic sites in Ireland. Its ruins date back to the late medieval period. The Rock stands 46m tall in the heart of what is otherwise a flat plain, and was ideal as a defensive position with its view right up to the Slieve Bloom Mountains.
Excavations in the 1990s demonstrated that the Rock was first settled in the 9th century when a fort or dún was constructed on the site. In 845 the Vikings of Dublin attacked the site and the abbot of Terryglass was killed there. There is no clear evidence of 10th–11th century occupation.
The castle was built in the second half of the 12th century. Who built it is not recorded, but Meyler FitzHenry is the most likely candidate. Strongbow is another possibility, as it was he who controlled Leinster as heir of Dermot McMurrough. With the marriage of Stongbow’s daughter and heir, Isabel, the castle passed into the hands of the Marshal family. William Marshal, who later became Regent of England in the minority of Henry III, had five sons, all of whom succeeded him in turn and died without issue. So in 1247 the Marshal lands were divided among William’s five daughters. Dunamase fell to Eva Marshal and then to her daughter, Maud, who was married to Roger Mortimer. The castle remained in Mortimer hands until 1330 when another Roger Mortimer was executed for treason. By the time the Mortimer family was rehabilitated the castle seems to have passed out of the area under Norman control. There is no evidence that the castle was taken over and used by the local Irish lords and it seems to have become a ruinous shell by 1350.
Nor is there evidence that the castle was reoccupied in the 17th century. It played no part in the Cromwellian wars, except that it was blown up in 1650 to prevent it being used. In the later 18th century Sir John Parnell started to build a banqueting hall within the ruins and this work incorporated medieval architectural details taken from other sites in the area. It is these features which have led some writers to believe that there was a later medieval rebuild and reoccupation of the castle.
Located in County Laois, the site is a short distance from the N80 road, between the towns of Portlaoise and Stradbally.
Source: Wikipedia
Picture via dunne_s

Rock of Dunamase

The Rock of Dunamase is one of the most historic sites in Ireland. Its ruins date back to the late medieval period. The Rock stands 46m tall in the heart of what is otherwise a flat plain, and was ideal as a defensive position with its view right up to the Slieve Bloom Mountains.

Excavations in the 1990s demonstrated that the Rock was first settled in the 9th century when a fort or dún was constructed on the site. In 845 the Vikings of Dublin attacked the site and the abbot of Terryglass was killed there. There is no clear evidence of 10th–11th century occupation.

The castle was built in the second half of the 12th century. Who built it is not recorded, but Meyler FitzHenry is the most likely candidate. Strongbow is another possibility, as it was he who controlled Leinster as heir of Dermot McMurrough. With the marriage of Stongbow’s daughter and heir, Isabel, the castle passed into the hands of the Marshal family. William Marshal, who later became Regent of England in the minority of Henry III, had five sons, all of whom succeeded him in turn and died without issue. So in 1247 the Marshal lands were divided among William’s five daughters. Dunamase fell to Eva Marshal and then to her daughter, Maud, who was married to Roger Mortimer. The castle remained in Mortimer hands until 1330 when another Roger Mortimer was executed for treason. By the time the Mortimer family was rehabilitated the castle seems to have passed out of the area under Norman control. There is no evidence that the castle was taken over and used by the local Irish lords and it seems to have become a ruinous shell by 1350.

Nor is there evidence that the castle was reoccupied in the 17th century. It played no part in the Cromwellian wars, except that it was blown up in 1650 to prevent it being used. In the later 18th century Sir John Parnell started to build a banqueting hall within the ruins and this work incorporated medieval architectural details taken from other sites in the area. It is these features which have led some writers to believe that there was a later medieval rebuild and reoccupation of the castle.

Located in County Laois, the site is a short distance from the N80 road, between the towns of Portlaoise and Stradbally.

Source: Wikipedia

Picture via dunne_s

  1. melobrien91 reblogged this from irelandwonders
  2. imakemywings reblogged this from irelandwonders
  3. fur-immer-punk reblogged this from irelandwonders
  4. irishcrone reblogged this from irelandwonders
  5. camilea7 reblogged this from travellinganachronism
  6. craelity reblogged this from armoredbardess
  7. ilostmywatson reblogged this from lord-thundercastle
  8. tripelalienhistory reblogged this from irelandwonders
  9. lord-thundercastle reblogged this from armoredbardess
  10. krakeninatophat reblogged this from armoredbardess
  11. armoredbardess reblogged this from irelandwonders
  12. jennnnyrodriguez reblogged this from the-three-sunrises
  13. laursutherlife reblogged this from irelandwonders and added:
    Rock of Dunamase
  14. laugh-dance-inspire reblogged this from irelandwonders
  15. polemistisirinikos reblogged this from irelandwonders
  16. tneff10 reblogged this from hathawaylane
  17. broken-elegance reblogged this from hathawaylane
  18. stillsandsugar reblogged this from teacupcakes
  19. teacupcakes reblogged this from newyorkinthespring
  20. wyld--fyr reblogged this from irelandwonders
  21. limesandlemonade reblogged this from newyorkinthespring
  22. newyorkinthespring reblogged this from irelandwonders
Flag Counter